Pages

Saturday, November 03, 2007

laundrettes and chiropractors

My house is a catastrophe, and it isn't getting any better. I'm tired at the moment and don't feel up to much at all - although I need to get a good dinner for tonight. I have a whole chicken in the oven, so that is one big step, the rest (veggies and potatoes) are easy. Had to go to a laundromat today because we we're running very very low on clothes (and me being pregnant I dont have 'that' many maternity clothes although much better than last time). How was I supposed to know it was going to cost me £3 a load?? I couldn't believe it!! Jett couldn't either! In America/Canada its around a $1 or $1.25 (could be closer to $2 in Canada). but £3?? I ended up only doing three loads and that doesn't include drying...so I decided I would hand dry even my diapers this time. Can you imagine spending $18 on three loads of washing?? I'm sure my family can't believe this cost. Well, our new washer/dryer is supposed to arrive Tuesday. Just up the road from the laundrette was the chiropractors office that I had called yesterday - so we decided to stop in and just check out the place. It just so happens that the female chiro that is there, is American...heehee, and from California! :) There is a male there too and it happens to be he is from Calgary (Alberta Canada). LOL, I thoguht that kind of funny. :) So, I have an appointment with her Wednesday afternoon. Finally a female! Jett still is studying hard for exams which start Monday and last till Wednesday. Oh, and Amelia? She is busy whining a lot...I can't seem to make out what she wants but obviously she has the essentials (clean diaper, water, food, toys etc) but she just complains about me being busy with other things other than her. Wait till she has her brother/sister here, then she will have to learn to be content with what she has. Better be off! :)

8 comments:

PeterinScotland said...

When I was at college in Newport about 20 years ago launderette prices varied quite considerably. I seem to think that the one I normally went to (which was on a main road on the boundary of the shopping area of town and the poor, dock area of town) cost 40p. I found another one which was a bit closer and was shocked to discover it charged £1.30. Can't be sure I have those figures correct after so long, but it gives you some idea of the possible variation. And I think the cost of living is probably pretty high in Edinburgh in general. People have to pay their mortgage or rent, and the average house price in Edinburgh is now £228,212 - that's about $475,000 at today's exchange rates.

Evelyn said...

ooh thats terrible! 40p??? oOOH not fair!

Ev

PeterinScotland said...

Prices of launderettes, and houses, have changed a great deal in 20 years! What size machine are you talking about? I just Googled for

launderette price

and there are quite a few around Britain that show their prices for self-service washes. But they vary according to the size of machine.

lecleda said...

hello jett eve and amelia
i enjoyed reading the blog sounds like things are going well for you all as we say here in Texas.
hope this gets to you as grammie is not up to speed or the know how for a blog thanks to peter for helping me well it is bedtime for 4 o clock comes fast love from grammie and grandpa in Texas

C~S said...

3 pounds? that's crazy!! The price amazes me!!! Pew. I'd be pretty mad.

As for Amy whining... Claire is the same way when I'm on the computer or doing dishes. She likes me to pay attention to her all the time. Right now I'm keeping her quiet by nursing her.

I know I've gota email you. I'm gonna do that shortly.

Love and hugs.
xox

Evelyn said...

your still nursing eh? i think i would have gone crazy if i still had to nurse be pregnant and huge. Good for you. :)

Love,
Ev

Rachel said...

It's not all that bad, Ev! ;) I nursed Abigail *all* the way through my pregnancy with Benjamin (yep, all through the big, heavy & tired feeling times etc!) and she's still not weaned, and 2nd birthday is next week! lol Ideally I think it would be nice to wean her *sometime* soon, but certainly wouldn't think of weaning Benjamin for a good while yet! :)

PeterinScotland said...

Speaking of prices to shock your transatlantic readers, do they know that the average UK price of petrol is now almost exactly $8 per gallon?