Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Simplifying

Just a wordy post here from me. I was going through my "old" clothing and things that the kids don't fit nor wear nor would I see my future kids (If we have any more) wearing them (due to major stains, major wear etc) sorting through and deciding what I will keep, what I would throw out and what I would recycle. It is amazing to me to see how much stuff we can hold on to that we don't need!

Kids clothing is fairly easy to do, perhaps the harder issue is my clothes! We women have a tendency to: like to shop, like to "stay in fashion" and so on. I'm totally against going with the "fashion" of today if it means dressing immodest and gaudy and unfortunately this in our day is very much of that nature.

On several blogs I have been reading I've noticed some talk about simplifying our clothing. So, I thought I would give my two cents as well. I've gone through my clothes and decided ok, this is too small and so I get rid of it. And it feels wonderful to look into my closet knowing I can wear anything in there, knowing it does fit properly!

So, how many shoes do you have? Or skirts? How often do you wear them? Those are the kind of questions I've been asking myself while downsizing my wardrobe.

I own exactly 2 pairs of shoes. This is of course not including sandals but how often do you wear sandals in the UK!? And by the way I only own 4 pairs of sandals (hmm, obviously I wore them a lot in the States). I'm not trying to boast of how little shoes I have - actually I wish I had another pair but really this all I need for now. Skirts on the other hand I have enough and tops well maybe a wee bit too many so...maybe I should work on the top situation soon.

So...I'm trying to simplify my life's clothing to make life more manageable. And I find if I do this with everything else as well (house hold stuff, kitchen stuff etc) I then know what I have in the house, things stay organized and it gives a wonderful sense of accomplishment and "staying on top of things" that I think this is worthwhile to continue through out life!

Now, I should mention for the next 2 or so years I NEED to be living simply due to so many moves we have yet to do, but I hope in the future when we get settled, Lord willing, that I'll keep up this habit.

Ok I think I've said enough! :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of doing this lately -- of course, I've had no time at all do sit down and sort through my clothing. I would really like to do so before I get married so I don't have to pack up things I don't even want or wear!

The Mom said...

LOL Evelyn, I have one pair of shoes, and one pair of Lands End slippers - there never seemed much point in having more than one pair of shoes, since you can only wear one at a time.

Constance hasn't got the same gene, sadly!

I agree with you that the less "stuff" we have the simpler life is. I am what is known as a "spartan messy" - someone who'd rather throw things out than tidy them up.
Love
H

Sharon said...

I've been doing quite a bit of simplifying myself lately. I hate to waste things, so I hesitate to throw anything out that might be of use to someone, someday, somehow! But I've managed to recycle/freecycle/donate quite a few things anyway, and I find that it's much easier to keep the house tidy when I have less "stuff."

I am contemplating a move to Texas in another year or so, all being well. I find it much easier to get rid of "stuff" when I look at it and think, "Is this item important enough to pack up, haul clear across the country, and store in my parents' garage for an indefinite period of time?" Surprisingly few items pass that test! I still have a long way to go, however. I don't have a lot of clothes, but I do have way too many papers, toys, and miscellaneous odds and ends!

Reading your post, I am reminded that I have several pairs of shoes that I have not worn in years. Why do I still have them??? *off to dispose of them*

The Mom said...

Moving house does help to "declutter" your life. We moved in 1996, 1999 and 2001 - during which time I gutted the house for things we didn't need.

I recycle rather than throw things away, but still "stuff" manages to build up. Maybe it's time we moved house again, lol, it is a great incentive to decide what is worth keeping and what isn't.
Love
H

Evelyn said...

Mercy, I highly recommend it! Wish we could come to the wedding and I'm sorry I haven't mailed the reply thingy back...I probably won't until we get a card for you guys...and well...I'm kind of embarrassed to return it in its present condition. :S

H, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has only a "couple" pairs of shoes! I think we all could be people who would rather throw out then tydy...I've had many of those days where I've nearly done to much of that! I must admit I saw C's blog and couldn't believe how many shoes she has!

Sharon. I definitely hold on to things for those reasons too...but in my situation I need to not think about that just yet...completely different if one is settled of course! A move to Texas did I read that right??

Off to bed!
Ev