Pages

Friday, August 15, 2008

Just another wordy post

I never mentioned this in my last post and that probably had to do with children crying and screaming...hmm the life of a mom what a book that would be...but I popped into see the Health Visitor wednesday. I got Aaron weighed and measured and got his first bookstart pack (finally). He measured below the 50th centile actually it was closer to 25th centile then anything I think that is basically saying he is below average...that didn't worry me so much, but the weight now is concerning me. See, they didn't plot that one on his chart so I didn't know what centile he was so I did it myself as it it seems very easy to do and it looks like he is also below average. According to the weight from 8wks he weighed (and I'm doing this is pounds here but I have both) 12lbs and now at 27 weeks he is only 16lbs 3oz?!?! What? he gained only a mere 4 pounds in 4 months?? Is that normal? Obviously he is a wee bit underweight according to their charts, but we are feeding more solids lately so hopefully he'll gain some more in a wee while. So that is Aaron.

Amelia of course is just a ramble worm...talking talking talking. Oh boy I really ought to catch her on video when she says her "Eww Gross" it is so funny. In her bath tonight she decided that putting your ear to the water is funny...like talking on a phone...in fact she was telling me she was talking to Terry...I'm thinking ok...that's fine but Grandma Terry isn't in the water and that is not a phone! See she wanted to talk to Oma and Grandma Terry this afternoon *sooo* badly. So we left a message on Oma's phone and then called Grandma Terry. Amy is a silly girl...she has to switch the phone to one ear to the other like mom and dad oh and sometimes she'll pace like her daddy.

Anyways, I could tell you about all the nitty gritty details of life but that would consume this page into a massive volume of a series of books. I will mention one thing however...and that is I walked into the door post of the dining room door just before church yesternight and got a nice knot on my forehead...needless to say I felt pretty dumb to walk into the door post when the doorway has ample space provided to walk through!

Off I go to eat cereal and read. Till next time. :)

9 comments:

The Mom said...

Ev,

The charts in the UK that are used for baby growth/weight gain are drawn up on the expectation that a baby is bottle fed.

If you are concerned, ask your HV for charts for breast fed babies - they do have charts somewhere, just don't publicise them :-(

But mostly I'd say *don't worry* about charts and weights and measures, generally, if a child is unwell and underweight the mom will notice it far sooner than any official with a chart; and babies *do* grow at different rates.

I could reel off half a dozen examples, but I won't bore you.

Unless you are worried, don't let HV's and their charts worry you!

Rachel said...

In addition to what H said about the charts being developed for formula fed babies, you've also to bear in mind that so long as he's on similar centile figures for the weight as length (as you said he was), then he's perfectly normal. They only begin to worry if you have a child who is way up there in the height but very low for the weight (meaning possibly a very thin child) or very low in the height but high in the weight (a possibly overweight child). Abigail has always been around the 25th centile for her height & weight - and the HVs tell me that's just perfect - she's just right in that she's small for frame and weight - they're equal. And she has always stayed on these lines since she was tiny. So Aaron is probably just a bit petite. :) They're just all different! Benjamin is total opposite to Abigail - he's done nothing but climb the centile charts! For his weight he's been just under the 91st centile since he was only 8 weeks old! And by the time he was only 21 weeks old, he was nearly 19lbs! He's just always been big for his age (so much so that people on multiple occasions have thought the 2 of them were twins!) - whereas Abigail has been small, or just a bit below average.

So don't worry - children are all different! :)

Evelyn said...

How unfair to have charts in there that are for bottle fed babies instead of for the other option or rather why do they not have both?! I never thought about another chart and of course why would I if I'm not from here? I didn't think I needed to worry since Aaron looks just fine, infact he looks plump enough to me. Thank you both for pointing out the chart. I guess that is why the HV wasn't at all concerned about the weight. Thanks again.
Ev xx

Melissa said...

Just thought I would add to what H and Rachel said, and pipe in with a little thing my mum keeps telling me (and it tends to be VERY accurate for breast fed babies). Rule of thumb: Double by six months, triple by a year. Since he was 7 lbs 6.5 oz at birth, he should have weighed in around 14 lbs 13 oz at the beginning of this month. A couple of pounds above or below is still "normal". He's perfectly fine being "only" 16 lbs 3 oz! He's growing perfectly... perhaps even better than some. :-) At one year, he should weigh about 22 lbs 3.5 oz.

Oh, and in case you're interested... according to his birth weight and length and American/Canadian charts, he's in the same range of percentiles as he was born in (around the 30th percentile). :-)

Amy is pretty cute with her "miles" thing... Amelia was laughing because "the baby keeps saying the same thing over and over!". :-) Just wait till I have a baby saying the same thing over and over... she'll probably be sick and tired of hearing it instead, LOL.

And... for some reason I tried to submit but it said it didn't. Hopefully this isn't a double comment (and hey, this one is from the right account, rather than the one I *was* using, LOL)

Evelyn said...

Thank you Melissa. If definitely helps to hear those kinds of things! I never knew about the triple by year stuff I appreciate you telling me that! It definitely puts any even if they are wee, concerns at rest.

Haha...yes Amy repeats herself A LOT! I'm sure Amelia (yours) did when she was wee too!

Love,
Ev xx

Sharon said...

Oh and I had to laugh out loud when I read that you had walked into the door post--because I have done things like that so many times!

Evelyn said...

Whats worse is that when I wrote that post I said lintel instead of door post...I quickly changed that but still there are some who already saw it...lol so thats another thing to add to my "what I've done dumb list" for the week!

Ev (I'm still laughing at myself...oh boy!)

The Mom said...

I have a healthy skeptisicm for growth charts - having been told to put Jeremy on a diet at 8 months, and earlier having been warned that Lucy was underweight.

They are both pretty average now. Some children, despite all having same same diet, parents and exercise patterns, are going to be bigger and heavier or smaller and lighter than others.

(LOL one advantage of 12 dc is that I can conduct my own "research")

Genetics must play a part; and some of my children have inherited the big and tall gene, while others have the petite gene.
Love
H

PeterinScotland said...

We had a number of Dutch people come to look at our books the other night, and several of them could have walked into the lintel and got a knot on their foreheads. The tallest must have been approaching 7 foot (maybe I exaggerate, but not much).