Pages

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Dun Eistein

So, we are officially living in Harris now and I’m tired. On the 26th we travelled over, Jett in the red car (easily spotted while we were trying to keep up with him) and Catherine Dickie and myself with the kids in Alex’s focus. Amazing what you can cram into a car… So, after hours of driving we finally reached the ferry. I told Jett he had to take a few more items into the car because they just didn’t fit in the double stroller so that being done off we went to the ferry. Of course me being a walk on passenger I had to go up some stairs to get into the ferry…ok, exactly how do you do that with a stroller and two kids? Why you get people to carry the stroller…still it was far from easy getting the children up that flight of stairs (think Amelia walking holding my hand and myself carrying a computer bag and Aaron in carseat with the other hand…yeah not fun) but, this didn’t last very long and soon Jett was able to help get Aaron the rest (of the few steps) I didn’t realize he was already onto the ferry by this time! The ferry was so smooth, I have never been on such a smooth ferry I was needless to say, very thankful for that! We had a nice hot meal and before we even knew it we were in Tarbert, Harris. Anyways, the other details aren’t important, and here we are a week later in Northton with a huge house for just us!

The house needs a lot of cleaning I’m afraid and if anyone knows me I’m perhaps a clean freak (haha, when I can be one! Children don’t let you get much done). No one has been living in the house since last winter (maybe) so dust, dirt and etc had accumulated, I won’t mention what I found in the dishwasher (that doesn’t work). J So, Monday I spent lots of time cleaning the main room we use (kitchen and dining room) Cleaned three windows inside and out while running 3 loads of laundry through. Vacuumed behind stuff, vacuumed walls, corners, ceilings, light fixtures etc. And dusted! I have yet to wash the curtains, and really I think it needs to be done! And I think that has this room done pretty well, I ought to get the kitchen in better order, but I was so tired today due to…Aaron.

Yes, my lovely cheerful son has turned into a screaming crying baby at night…teething maybe?

So, instead of spring cleaning another room I went with Jett to explore some beaches since the weather was unusually sunny (and it didn’t last long either). We took a different single track road to a lovely big beach, but you had to walk a bit to get to it. Once we were there Amelia exclaimed, “Ooh, big water! Wook [look]!!” Took a few pictures but I doubt it would be worthwhile to post any at the moment…we only have dialup right now and are seeing into broadband but have heard from others that it may not be available so I’m not getting my hopes up.

Aaron looks like he is almost ready to crawl. He is getting his tummy off of the ground more and more, and today I even saw him rock a bit which is a good sign!

Monday we hope to run to Stornoway for our every two week “grocery” shop (lol…run? It is a 1 ½ hours drive) Tescos is there, and the prices are just as good as the mainland – yippie for that.

The house name here is called Dun Eistein or in English (correct me if I’m wrong) Edinburgh. I thought that was interesting.

And classes start next Tuesday for Jett.

Comments are welcomed, and I apologize for not replying to most of them just due to us moving and such I guess. Anyways, must run, its 5 and dinner needs to be prepared soon.

1 comment:

PeterinScotland said...

Dun Eidean (spelling?) or Dunedin is Edinburgh.

What you've got, Dun Eistein, is a historic fortress (or something like that - see Google) of the Morrisons. Literally it means Hugh's Castle, according to one website I saw. If you see a house called that it is likely to have some connection with someone in the Morrison clan. And I don't think I knew that until Rachel's family were there, though there was one in Lochcarron that had belonged to a Mrs Morrison.