Pages

Sunday, February 01, 2009

What has been happening.

I decided to start trying to explain what has been going on the past week and a half now (I think it is) but it might end up being posted at a later date due to the length of it...or I mean, trying to remember all the details (well not all but you know, the important ones).

As I already mentioned, I think, last wednesday night we noticed something funny about Amelia when we were putting her to bed. The next day we figured she had the flu as she was throwing up but she was still able to eat some toast at noon and again at dinner time...so not completely sure if it was or not. It was really Friday we noticed these "blank stares" she started to give us, some lasting a couple of minutes but on Saturday it lasted for nearly 9 minutes. This would be followed by her snapping out of it and then acting quite hyper for a bit, and then she would become quite exhausted. Jett called the doctor Friday and he checked her out and we thought to give it a day or the weekend to see if she improved since we "thought" she may have had the flu. Well Saturday came, and she had another bout, and this time I took our digital camera out and videoed her (not something I wanted to do but I wanted to be sure the doctor understood that this wasn't normal). So we went to the doctors saturday morning and he saw the video and basically told us to go to Stornoway hospital to get blood tests taken to rule out a few things (infection etc.). So up we went, and poor Amy had to give blood twice as the first sample was sent to a mini lab for emergencies and it showed her as anemic!! The second time showed she was completely fine. So we were to come back on Monday to see the Pediatrician. So we started to drive home when the car decided to stall and then not start again! It just seemed one thing after another! Anyways, to make this long story shorter, we stayed at the Campbells in Tolsta for the weekend and Monday went back to the hospital. The pediatrician saw the video and took another blood test (which again showed up absolutely fine) checked her ears (this was the third time to check ears) but nothing showed up. So he referred us to Glasgow. The Neurologist/Pediatrician he referred us to was born in Stornoway so probably was even more helpful in getting us over quickly as we left Tuesday morning (nearly missing the flight...thats another story though).

Tuesday - Amelia was admitted to Yorkhill hospital and we began the series of tests to eliminate whatever and to hopefully come to a conclusion.

E.E.G was the first test in which I have a photo of her with though not on here at the moment. There were 16 or so wires connected with GLUE to her poor wee head, she was quite good getting them on but not so getting them off the next day. And a video camera was at the end of her bed the whole night to catch her seizures and there were quite a few of them.

The next day Wednesday, once wires were removed, she had a CT scan to rule out any brain tumors or abnormalities and that came out just fine. She started an anti-epilepsy drug this night.

Thursday we got to go home to the manse instead of staying another night in the hospital (yeah!).

Friday we went to the hospital to check her eyes out again, eliminating another possibility T.S. but not sure what the long term name for it is. But again, that came out just fine as well.

All being well, Monday we have to see the doctor and hopefully by then the medication will have taken more effect, and another blood test will be taken some sort of chromosome test which takes 2 months or so to get back.

And thats all at the moment, as you can imagine it has been a highly stressful and emotional week for us. I'm sorry if I sound too matter of fact right here, but it is the best I can do just now as getting into more of the nitty gritty would take a lot of effort that I don't have just now. I do hope to update again but for now this will have to do. Many thanks to all for their thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ev! We've been thinking about you all and hoping you are doing ok with all the things going on. Thank you for putting it all in writing for us. James would have called Jett last week but we don't have it in our phone plan to be able to call overseas. :-( But we are thinking of you!
Happy brithday to Aaron. I keep figuring it out in my head...is he really 1 already? But if Cam is 9 mo. then he must be one! :-) Wow!

love,
Hays

Evelyn said...

Thank you Hays :) Yes Aaron is 1!! :)