Saturday, October 22, 2011
Delicious Chicken Soup!
I have to tell you about a method of making chicken soup...a lot of you probably already know about this (especially those Nourishing Tradition peoples), but I'm so silly not to try it out...and now I see the difference! Let me tell you that to make wonderful chicken broth you can't just boil the bones...I mean yes you'll get good broth but I wanted flavourful broth that I only need to add SALT (or salt, pepper, onion powder) to instead of adding a chicken bullion cube which has MSG in it. Ok, so I make a chicken in the crock pot for a dinner meal. After you take off the chicken meat for your dinner pop the bones, skin and leftover bits into the crock again and fill with water...then add chopped onion, and chopped carrots, and chopped garlic...and yes I thought it would be a waste to throw it away but not if it means I don't have to add MSG products to it later on!! You'll need at least 3-4 cloves of garlic btw the more the better (well don't overdo it). So you cook that on high over night in the crock. Strain and there you have the beginnings of chicken soup! Add your usual ingredients, mine are: chopped/diced Carrot, onion, celery, dried parsley and the leftover chicken...and salt. I can't believe I only used salt! And did it pass the test? Aaron likes it, and started talking about Oma (my mom) lol...that must mean it passed with high marks. I don't think I'll ever make broth without cooking it with the other veggies...amazing what a difference. :) If you haven't tried it, you need to! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love the way that properly cooked broth congeals into jelly when it cools. I make mine the same way except I would probably cook on low instead of high, and I add a sprig of fresh rosemary from our garden.
They say that when it turns to jelly that it is reallly good for you soup! :)
Silly question but I have never cooked a chicken in my slow cooker.
Having put in the chicken how much and what fluid do you put in and you cook it overnight I presume?
I need the chicken before I can move on to the delicious soup!
Thanks so much Melanie
I'm assuming here your talking about an uncooked chicken. It just depends on how much gravy you want I suppose! Chicken does give off liquid too, so usually I put about 1/4 (measuring in the slow cooker, *not actual cups*) or a bit less of water, I also season the chicken with poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. :) I hope that makes sense...I'm afraid I never really measure the water so I don't know in cups what I put in! You can cook it overnight, although I think it needs to be cooked on low then.
Oh...I usually cook it in the day...uhm on high for 3-4hrs, just depends on the size of the chicken too, mine are small-medium.
Post a Comment