So then, what am I going to tell you about? Well, I've been thinking of starting school with Amelia (I mean purchasing textbooks and starting a real everyday thing). According to my NZ calendar, school term 1 starts sometime in Feb, and although I haven't completely figured out how there system works, I might try to start around that time or afterwards...wow, all of that sounds very ambitious and believe me I feel far from it! But she is ready. She is reading already, and has been for a while. So yes, this will be something new for me who is used to starting school in September till May or June! Starting Feb? :D Yes, a lot to get used to, but I am looking forward to learning, I need more patience to wait for things to work out first, D.V. Anyways, this is my thought, but we'll see. :)
Another big note, Mercy & Mark have a new baby now: Charlotte Phoebe! Click on her name to see a picture of the pretty baby.
I've been trying to keep my priorities straight...and that can be difficult with me. Because I might see dishes, and a dirty house, laundry etc as a major priority when certain things such as renewing passports, reading up on immigration etc can be just as or perhaps more important depending on the circumstances. So, let go I must and try to catch up on a later time with the household tasks. Another priority I have to keep in front of my mind is the disciplining and training of my children. Obviously it is more important to discipline a child when they are doing wrong...but if I'm washing dishes the temptation is to finish what I'm doing and then deal with the child. Yes, that is NOT what I should do...I know, its just hard for me to keep things straight.
I have purchased a few books lately, some dealing on motherhood and wifey-like things, and another on New Zealand (Jett bought this one). I was laughing at a few comments in the NZ book when it dealt with NZ immigration versus American immigration, and it helped to ease the stress a bit. Nicer to know that a country would rather keep you in than throw you out (circumstances depending I'm sure). :D
This is what my kids were busy with this morning...
And on to another priority...training my child not to whine... :S Suggestions welcome!!
4 comments:
I've been thinking about doing the same thing--starting "proper" schooling with Elijah. Most days he does math (an online program) and Bible, but other than that we haven't done anything formal. Part of me wants to start now, but the other part of me wants to wait till fall, which would give me more time to make those difficult decisions about curricula. :)
Oh, how fun (on the schooling)! What materials are you hoping to use?
I used to tell our nephew (when he was 3.5-4 yrs) that I couldn't understand him when he whines, because I don't speak the language of Whine. When he was ready to speak proper English to me, then I would listen and respond to his words. It didn't take long for him to figure it out, though he did relapse from time to time. It worked for his "Gibberish" language as well, lol.
With Rebecca (currently 2) I just tell her that she isn't speaking in a kind/gentle voice, and when she is ready to speak to me nicely I will talk with her. So far that has worked wonderfully.
Would LOVE to know how you've taught your little ones to sit for worship time. We struggle to make it through a 2 minute Bible reading let alone 5-10 minutes for a worship time with Rebecca. Any suggestions?!
Oh did you notice Sharon, starfall has a "new" website in addition to the old...unfortunately to get all the activities you have to pay $35 a year... :( but Amelia likes playing around it anyways...she is currently playing with the addition and the subtraction games/activities.
I think for the first couple of years (unless I find something else cheaper with the same quality) I'll be using Abeka. BUT I've already decided I'll probably get different readers, and not get all that they have for K5 just the basics. I'm not completely sold on Abeka, just so you know...I think they cram far too much information in the later grades...so we'll see what we do then!
Sitting still...hmm, well I guess we are pretty strict, they sit still because we said so and if they don't then they have to bare the consequences (happens rarely tho) usually a warning is good enough.
I LOVE Bob Jones school books (www.bjupress.com) for everything except science, which I use Apologia for (http://www.apologia.com/prodas.php).
Bob Jones and Apologia are Christian, American curriculums, that continually inforce what Scripture says, as well as teaching the given subject. On Bob Jones website you can look through the books.
Yes our school term starts anytime from the end of January to about the second week of February. Unfortunately they changed the terms completely this year because we have the Rugby World cup here.
Bianca Jago(14yrs)
Post a Comment