Oh it is that time again....time to really sit down and pull out the books and get working. We've delayed by about 2 weeks or 1 depends on what school your "following".
We've been on holiday and trying to make the most of it with Jett (Daddy), hopefully I'll get around to posting some of our pics from that. But now we've got to dig in...baby is due in 3 weeks time which doesn't leave much time to get some school done!
So today was officially our first day of school. :) I did two hair cuts this afternoon in order for them to look like proper school children and not some raggedy boys. Here is Aaron, starting grade 3 (year something or another).
And Owen is kind of in a mixed grade, but to make it easier we'll say grade 1.
And Amelia. :)
And some of our books...
Owen is doing Math U See- Alpha(dvd shown but not the textbook). But I think he'll be into Beta before the end of the year.
Aaron is in grade 3 bob jones math....not sure if we'll continue this next year.
Both Amelia and Aaron are doing Abeka for grammar/language arts.
Mystery of History Vol 1....yes this is embarrassing how little we've actually gone through in one and a half years, but we hope to get much more done this time! :)
Kids are sooooo excited to start Zoology 1 by Apologia (excellent Science program). Amelia is our bird expert and Aaron is into bugs/insects both are covered in this book!
More books...
I've decided to try something different for Spelling....Aaron and Owen are trying out sequential spelling this year. And the other two books here are Owen's as well. However, he is more advanced in the Explode the Code series. I use these as a way to get him to follow instructions and just some busy work. Beyond the code I think deals with more comprehension which is what he needs most(something I'll be getting in the future).
Here is the notebooking journal for the Science curriculum and Amelia's Spelling book and Math (both new things this year). So far she is enjoying doing her math on the computer, so hopefully this will be a good fit.
- Swimming Lessons,
- Memory work for Sabbath School
- we are reading Little House in the Big Woods together,
- the two oldest are writing diaries - this will be good for their handwriting skills,
- and my kids are ever reading nature books from the library not to mention any good books from our own library (Aaron is currently reading Pilgrims Progress -my favourite).
I haven't put much more effort into Art or Music yet. We are hoping to have a baby soon so will have to think about this as the year progresses. Anyways, this is what our homeschooling will look like this year! Always exciting starting off new. :)
3 comments:
Looks great Evelyn!! Love seeing what you're using! Don't feel bad about going slow through MOH. We've slowed waaay down in it the past couple of years. I keep thinking how slowly we've been moving in vol 3! Lol
I love new school books, and new school years! We have been very slow getting through our books this year, having only made it 9 weeks in in the course of about 20! I decided a couple of weeks ago I want to be more concerned about my children's social and spiritual "intelligence" than their academic levels. They're progressing, maybe not at a school pace, but they are certainly gaining plenty of knowledge and experience-- I'm sure yours are as well!
Melissa, it can be easy to focus too much on the academics and forget the most important things which is what you are focusing on(well done!)! I hope we are balancing this somewhat here. :) When we have morning worship my hubby will focus on teaching the spiritual side of scripture...which is soo good. And since we use Christian Science and History curriculum they get more from that too. :)
Post a Comment